Okay, so dressing your kids with only 26 items for a whole school year might seem like a stretch but it’s possible! Especially if getting dressed has become a point of anxiety for your kid or if laundry days have gotten too overwhelming for your family, that magic number (give or take) is the solution and it comes from the capsule wardrobe idea. What exactly is a capsule wardrobe? It’s a curated collection of clothing that mixes & matches together to make multiple outfits. It isn’t a new idea but it is a popular one that started in the adult fashion space and trickled down into the mix-n-match kids clothing world to help simplify busy lives.
Why do the capsule wardrobe?
For the kids that have a hard time choosing what to wear or give you a hard time on what you chose for them, the capsule collection will save the day! Fewer choices will make getting dressed in the mornings faster and easier.
Most of us dread laundry day because the piles seem endless…especially when you're a parent to more than one kid. With a capsule wardrobe, you'd be washing every week but it'll be small loads that will also be easy for the kids to help sort (and put away)!
Empowers Their Creativity
Developing their personal style is the last benefit to having a kids capsule wardrobe. Working with just a couple of pieces will push your child to problem solve how to create a new look every day! Plus, as kids grow, they'll have the chance to swap out styles and try something new.
How To Make A Capsule Wardrobe?
- Make a checklist of all the styles they need. Don't forget to take into account the climate you live in and adjust the number of pieces needed accordingly!
- Next, take out all their clothes and start sorting them into 4 different piles: Keep, Give, Reuse and "Sentimental." Keep should be the smallest pile, Give is for donations or hand-me-downs, and Reuse is for things that can be up-cycled into washcloths, quilts and more. If you're emotionally attached to a couple of special pieces, the Sentimental pile is for you to store those memories away (but keep that collection EXTRA small!). To help with sorting, ask yourself these questions:
- Is it in good condition and is it good quality?
- Does it coordinate with at least 3 other items?
- Does the capsule wardrobe need this or do you just like it? (Use your best judgement!)
- Once you're done sorting, put the styles you keep back into the closet, cross reference it on your checklist and then head to the store to pick up what you're missing. Don't forget to ask yourself the same questions listed above to help make decisions. And know that it's okay to continue editing the capsule collection even after your shopping trips until it's to your liking (and your kids!).
- 8-10 tops (keep these basic, but have fun with a couple of graphic tees!)
- 3-4 pantalones
- 3-4 pairs of shorts (1 denim pair + 1 chino pair + 2 active pairs is a good combo…)
- 3-4 dresses and 2-3 skirts (for the girls!)
- 1 sweatshirt
- 1 light jacket
- 1 heavy jacket
- 1 pair of sneakers (pick a standout pair that coordinates with any outfit)
- 1 pair of slip-on shoes (for easy on & off!)
- 1 pair of dress shoes
- 1 pair of sandals
Note: the above list is a suggested foundation for their capsule wardrobe. Keep in mind that where you live will vary what you need. You'll also have to account for special occasion styles (like a suit!) or uniforms needed for extra-curricular activities.
Ready, set, capsule…
Capsule wardrobes may not work for everyone (especially if you love to dress up your kids!), but now that you've learned the fundamentals, you can tailor it in a way that works for your family. A kids capsule wardrobe can be daunting but it can also be rewarding - especially when it comes to laundry day!